View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Janeen
Banned

Okay, here's another question:
What do you say to "Quilt Police" who ask questions like...
"How come you made it so small?" or the people who seem to think it isn't a 'real' quilt unless it's all done by hand?

There are some folks who apparently think all quilts have to be KING size and hang clear to the floor - NOT! :roll:
I like to make 'blanket' size quilts for several reasons -
a. they go faster :mrgreen:
b. they can be piled on a bed as blankets and don't have to be the bedspread
c. easier to handle
d. easier to be used watching TV or whatever (or for the dog bed LOL)

I've made quilts all by hand in the past - I can't do it anymore because of arthritis - and besides that, I have a GAZILLION quilts in my head and want to do most of them in my lifetime!! a machine is soooooooooo much faster!

Hint: use rubberized gardening gloves (real cheap at wallyworld) for handling while stippling. I've tried the dotted ones and they don't work for me. I cut the tip of the first finger and thumb of right hand glove to make for easier thread snipping or taking pins out, etc.

Hint: If you are using a newer sewing machine with measured thread, use a LONG stitch length for stippling to prevent broken needles.
I tried stippling with my super-duper Singer XL1000 and promptly broke a pile of needles... which is one reason I'm using a 50 year old 301!

Hint: don't move the quilt too fast when stippling - that causes those weird looking tension problems (I just today figured this out duh)

And another question, how long does it take to get really good at machine quilting?? I have all kinds of plans for fancy stuff and wind up meandering anyway.... sigh