Old 11-30-2017, 07:38 PM
zozee

Default "Providence Lodge"--log cabin quilt for sister

I finished all but the binding in time for my sister's 50th birthday last week. She absolutely loved it.

The pattern I knew all along would be a log cabin because she lives in one. Her dream home, surrounded by many acres of land. She has two horses, two dogs and three cats, so I chose fabrics to represent those loves, as well as to complement her decor.

If you zoom in, you'll see that I still have markings from Crayola UltraWashable markers. I have not put on binding yet, so haven't washed the quilt . Those marks should all disappear. If they don't, I'm going to check myself into a psych ward. This quilt has given me such a fit, I thought I was close to losing my Christianity. LOL Mainly because I tried a method of quilt-as-you-go.

Most of my anxiety was how to quilt it. Finally the inspiration hit: large horse "medallions" in the large center white spaces (which I drew and made templates for). Horseshoes, rope, stars in FMQ. Stencilled designs and straight line quilting. A lot of work, but in the end, quite worth it.

Blocks are 12" finished. Backing is Maywood Studio flannel. Aurofil thread was amazingly good with Superior 100/16 needle for quilting.

Named it "Providence Lodge" because my sister moved into her log cabin after a messy divorce a couple years ago, and throughout the hardship has acknowledged that God has provided for all her needs and many of her wants--including a log cabin on a horse farm!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584601[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3078.jpg  

Last edited by zozee; 11-30-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo