View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Veinurse

Default Would you hang an 85 year old quilt?

One of our church members found a quilt from the 30's where the Aid members embroidered there names on a block. It was on an auction in our small town from a family that was long time members of our church. She has donated it back to the church. It is in wonderful shape, only a few stained spots. Our archive committee would like to hang it near the church organ for one day during our next anniversary. I would have to sew a sleeve to the back. I'm tending to agree with their decision because people should be able to see it. It is now rolled up and in archival paper in a dark closet. Am I missing something? What should I be careful about? They wanted to place it behind glass and have it showcased in our large entry. Thankfully the cost was way beyond what they wanted to pay. The sun would have for sure ruined it. Because I am the quilter in the bunch I have a say, but I do not have any relatives on the quilt so I feel I am open to any pros and cons. Thank you! I was so excited when I first saw it. One day I will post a picture. I didn't think to take one when we last had it out.