View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 05:45 AM
EmiliasNana

You will love retirement!

1. Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire?
I've always been fairly organized, but you have to be disciplined enough to put things back after each project, even though you have a stack of future projects in your mind or on your desk.
2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt?
I choose to quilt almost every day, but the key word is "choose". My DH and I both have hobbies, his is woodworking, so each of us are busy a good part of the day doing what we love and choose to do. We moved upon retirement so I was not in a hurry to "join" clubs or guilds and took my time deciding how I wanted to give back. I chose sewing for the local hospital, and donating quilts to our churches ministries.
3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds?
I will be the first to admit, I don't shop from my stash as often as I would like. I still shop for new fabric but don't spend nearly what I did before retirement. If I don't cut and organize my scraps by size and color, I would never shop from my stash as I hate pawing through the unknown LOL
4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping?
It doesn't bore me...............just don't always have the correct shade of color I need and don't tend to do scrappy.
5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended?
No, should unload most of them and hope to clean out a large portion this winter to the local art recycling center.
6. Are you able to take the classes, or go to the Sit and Sews like you planned?
I'm not a class taker. I have way too many projects I want to do without signing up to take someone else's project. I do go on a quilt retreat every month for 4-5 nights however and love it. We have the fortune of being able to buy an annual pass for $450 and can go as often as we want. It is a great place to share your love of quilting, gather new ideas both in patterns and fabric combinations, and learn new techniques.

Retirement is great, but be selective in what you really want to do the rest of your life. We are all different and have different priorities and life challenges whether it is money, grandchildren, health issues, etc. besides all the temptations of things to do with this new found free time. Take your time to decide your priorities and learn to say No to others if it doesn't fit with your vision.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps