Thread: Living Frugally
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM
grammyp

We can/freeze vegetables from the garden all summer. Grow what you can in the summer, you will be surprised what you can get from a small plot.

Dry your own fruits and make your own fruit sauces. Sunshine is free all summer. Takes a bit longer than a dehydrator, but is cheaper.

Shop for meat early in the morning. The meat that is going out of date is up to 50% off and can still be frozen. Whole chickens are cheaper than pieces, and the carcass makes great broth that can be frozen.

Keep a freezer bag in the freezer and add small amounts of leftover vegetables, even if it is just a spoonful. When the bag is full, add some broth and make vegetable soup. My mother call is garbage soup, I call it freezer soup.

I like a shower, DH likes a bath. When I shower I close the drain to save the water, then he gets a bath. This works especially well when we are are on water restrictions which is happening more and more these days.

We keep our house cool (usually about 68 during the day) and if I get to feeling cool, I light a scented candle. There is something about it that just warms the room.