View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 08:30 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Hey roguequilter, my cousins live in White Rock, BC just over the border. I'm Canadian and now live in Ridgefield, WA! For Christmas I have asked my family here for a small plastic tote from each (3). Right now my scraps are spread in piles on a back bedroom table (plywood laid on the posts of a bed) color sorted. Have many of the totes but now need more!!
my mil was vistiing a few years ago & asked me how small the scraps are that i could use, because there seemed to be an "awful lot of wasted fabric" at her church quilting group. so, i brought her a completed block from project that was current at the time. 20-patch unfinished at 3 1/2" ... comprised of 1 1/4" patches. i told her i can use anything that i can get a 1/4" seam in. so ..following week she showed up w 3 black garbage bags of scraps (and dust bunnies, strings, thread etcetcetc) looked like they went home & swept out their sewing room closets! lollol ..but i sorted thru, pulled out the wonderful good and since then she brings me a little at a time. i now have several flat underbed boxes of folded "scraps" (aka fat quarters or slightly larger), strips, precut squares of various sizes, orphan blocks (of which i have used for wonky piano key type borders, or disassembled for tiny chunks of fabric) ..chunks & larger scraps. what some would call 'crumbs'. all kept in spare bedroom. but it's been a slow process to organize and procure boxes to facilitate my mania for organizing. out of all, i've made several quilts for grand treasures, doll quilts, miniature quilts, quilts for friends & one row quilt w group of 7 other quilters on another forum. and shared w grand treasures who both now sew, one of whom, has made several doll quilts, 18" doll dresses, stuffie monsters, guinea pig stuffies etc.
.... they agree with gramma ham (moí ) ...fabric is wonderful ...fabric is fun!!