View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Karen Shoda

Default Fifth Generation Quilter

Today I joined and it's what I've been looking for. Just because every woman and a few men in my family before were all quilters, doesn't make me an expert. I love learning and growing in my art (Quilting). I was born into and grew up in Mennonite Fellowships and Quilting was a big part of what the women in the church did. I was born in Kentucky as was most of my family before me and so I have an Appalachian influence in my quilts. But in my mid 30's I started loving the non traditional patterns as well. I dabble in crating pictures using cloth and textiles instead of paint. In these years the art of Quilting is fading in my family. I feel responsible to my grandmother and great aunts to keep this important part of our family alive. I have taught Quilt beginner classes in the past. One student had her wall hanging published in a quilt magazine. My husband and I are Missionaries to the nation of Haiti. We have a home there and are back and forth until he retires in 3 years. In the future I want to teach young ladies to quilt and use the sale of the quilts to fund missions project, to fund thier schooling and have mother to able to provide for thier families. Lofty goals I know, but my time in my Quilt Studio keeps me focused.
❤️
BTW! Have you wondered Why there is No Quilt Emotion ? If there is I don't know about them.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-13-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all caps