View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I use bleach occasionally. It's good at killing germs, but it kills indiscriminately -- good bacteria along with the bad. Using it daily may be why your septic system could not operate effectively to break down waste.

Here is a good article that may help:
https://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-s...-the-right-way

One thing that is not mentioned in the article is heat. I use a steam cleaner on our bathrooms and love its ability to both clean and disinfect without chemicals. Steam cleaners are great for hard surfaces.

Why do you need to make sure your dishes are totally clean before putting them in the dishwasher? Older dishwashers do not handle food residues, but they still do an excellent job at cleaning germs off dishes. We have a newer dishwasher and its drying cycle uses such high heat our dishes are actually sterile when they come out. For this reason, dishwashers are often used to sterilize canning jars. Soap and water are excellent for getting rid of germs. I can see rinsing off dishes before putting them into the dishwasher if you have a dishwasher that cannot handle food residues, but otherwise it seems totally unnecessary to use bleach on dishes.