View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Betty J

Default Crochet Covered Hangers

As there seems to be some interest in my crochet hangers I have decided to make a new post for them.

These hangers are from the days of our Grandmothers. My grandmother had some and I always covered them as a child. Quite a number of years ago a very dear friend who has now passed asked me to re do two silk hangers that she had that were falling apart. I was able to copy the pattern from the existing hangers and I successfully re made them for. Then a few years later I was able to purchase a book of patterns for the hangers that had been published. the name of the book is: Six Exciting Crochet Coathanger Covers" by Margaret Metcalfe. So from then this has rekindled my love of the silk crochet hangers and I have made many hangers over the past few years.

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/p...er-Covers.html

The instructions in the book say to place the cover over purchased satin covered hangers but I prefer to pad my own wooden hangers and cover the padding with a matching satin or taffeta. I also cover the hook with a piece of plastic tubing, then a bias strip of the matching fabric and then I crochet a cover for the hook.
Attached Thumbnails img_2737.jpg   crochet-silk-hangers.jpg   imgp3609.jpg   img_2738.jpg