Old 12-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
I just use pins....lots and lots. My current quilt has about 500 of them in it......pinned every 2-3 inches. I'm lucky as I have a large table top I can use when I am basting so I don't have to kneel down on the floor to do it. I don't like spray baste. I have tried several including 505 and have had problems with fabric shifting every time. It's fine for holding practice sandwiches or small projects but that's about it....as far as I'm concerned it just doesn't hold up with all the movement and manipulating done whilst quilting a quilt any bigger than a cot quilt......This is just my opinion derived from my own personal experience anyway. I don't think the wool/poly batting I use is particularly compatible with the spray baste........never seems to hold my sandwich unless I quilt straight away....if I come back the next day I've always got fabric separating from the batting....not glued any more. And yes, I've read the instructions, watched all the you tubes and followed umpteen forum threads on the subject. I tried Elmers White Washable school glue the other day for the first time and it was easy to apply, dried well and left me with a fabulously glued together sandwich but my machine hated it; kept intermittently jamming and not feeding. When I applied the glue I even used a scraper to make sure the glue was spread out. In the end I soaked the whole quilt sandwich in the bath tub to dissolve the glue and separate the fabrics and batting before drying and re-basting with pins. Now that it is basted this time with pins the sewing machine is doing fine.....go figure. Have never heard of anyone having the trouble I have had with this product...guess I'm just lucky that way!!!!!!!

Goah i have never had that problem with the elmers. I'm about 15 quilts in some of them pretty big. I drizzle on in a thin bead like I am doing a big meander. The glue doesn't replace spray basting it replaces pin basting so it doesn't have to cover every inch of the quilt. I've used different machines and not one has had a problem. I wonder what happened in your situation??