View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 04:25 PM
PAMAR

Default T-Shirt Quilt - Rescue me!

My niece (who doesn't sew a stitch) has asked me to "help" her make a T-shirt quilt. Glad to do it. Recently emailed her some instructions on preparing the T-shirts based on information that I gathered from all you helpful quilters here on the Board. I have only made 1 T-shirt quilt for my 3 time NCAA wresting champ nephew. It has a prize position on his bed and is greatly loved.

Back to my niece - apparently, most of her shirts are the rubberized raised logos, which I told her we couldn't use (again, based on the recommendations from this Board, which I totally understand and agree with). She has emailed back to me questioning why we can't use rubberized T-shirts when she has seen other rubberized T-shirt quilts owned by her friends.

Now, I have been quilting for over 30 years. I am not a novice. However, I fully understand that quilting through rubberized fabric can not only break my needles, but can also throw off the timing of my machines. I have a Bernina 630 and a Juki 2010Q. I have paid too much for these machines to risk causing damage.

Do any of you more experienced T-shirt quilt makers have any advice or suggestions? I would really like to help her out, but I know that most of the work and the quilting will rest on my shoulders. Please rescue me!