View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 06:03 PM
HudsonsBend

Question Copyright on a lone star block?

Thank you so much for adding me to your site For a long time, I have had a lone star on my quilting wish list, and today finished my first one. I put it onto a share page on Facebook (a really nice one, everyone is kind) and was told in one of the first comments that the block was very similar to a book published some 15 years ago. I truly thought two things. First, I thought that Lone Star was a classic block that was likely in the public domain. Second, I thought that because my "version" is so simple, with just the placement of color as my distinction, that it wasn't really an extra-ordinary design. So when I saw that a book had been published, I went looking, and saw that while the swirl I created by myself was indeed in that book, it was utilized in a very intricate quilt, my heart fell. The last thing I want is to violate copyright.

So, my question is, am I wrong to try and use this design as something for a very small scale, custom order or craft fair, sale item? In my opinion, a block that is public domain, with multiple tutorials online on how to make it, that I just chose color placement on, shouldn't that be OK?

(the short version: I drew a lone star, spiral design, in EQ8. I read several tutorials and made my own, not using any one set of directions, and did not buy a pattern. I was then told of a book that had a similar pattern as the center of an intricate quilt that I had no clue of before hand. Can I sell items via small scale?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585946[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_20171224_112115.jpg