View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Quilting Chris

Default Advice on quilt element

I'm making a row quilt using some colorful triangle blocks I won in a block lottery. I thought I'd do rows of ocean related blocks (fish, waves, sailboats, birds, sunshine, hanging banners) with the triangle blocks representing sailboats and hanging banners. I'm including a total design picture and a photo of the first 4 completed rows. My problem is that when I constructed the sailboat row, I placed the sails directly over the center of each wave. Now, when I look at the two rows together I think it looks like sea monsters wearing colorful dunce hats. In my original design, I had grouped the sailboats somewhat. Should I take the rows apart and group the sails, or should I just leave them? I would like a viewer to think of sailboats on waves when they first see the quilt, but I don't care if their second thought is sea monsters with dunce hats. I'm just too close to it to make a good decision. And my husband is too literal and can't get his head around the abstraction of the whole idea.

PS: I threw in the hanging banners so I'd use more of the lottery blocks. I imagine the scene when looking at the ocean from a deck adorned with a line of colorful banners hung above eye level.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586111[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]586112[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails summer-ocean-design.jpg   ocean-picture.jpg