Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 AM
Mrs. D

Default Organizing the Studio: Idea Pin Up Board and Other Mighty Good Things

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586129[/ATTACH]
Great Grandma Edna's Doily Stretcher, converted into my ideas board next to my sewing machine.

Here's what the doily stretcher looks like, unadorned. Somewhere, I noted what year Grandma Edna ordered the doily stretcher from Montgomery Wards ( I still have the MW shipping box). Can't remember details off the top of my head. But, its an early one for sure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586130[/ATTACH]
I am so lucky to have this cork-like surface to hang up bits and pieces. I use it all the time: thumbnail sketches for designing quilts, applique circle templates, notes to myself--especially about tension settings for the long arm machine, color samples I am fond of, images I want to explore, business cards of quilters friends, blocks that could turn into quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586132[/ATTACH]
Other things that helped me get organized are these black plastic dollar store bins, just the right size to sort thread spools by color and fits nicely in the library card file drawers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586133[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586137[/ATTACH]
If you look closely at the walls--around the perimeter of the studio are 4 inch shelves to store things like serger and long arm quilting thread spools. Storing those items in plain sight keeps aware when I am low on a particular color (and one more good reason to go fabric shopping). The shelves are a convenient place to lean quilting rulers. Below some of the shelves, I installed large white coated "Cup Hooks" to hang scissors and measuring tapes.

The plain ivory curtains by my sewing machine do more duty that keeping the sun out of my eyes, they are convenient for storing threaded needles, and binding clips. I work in the studio everyday.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586138[/ATTACH]

[SUB][/SUB]
Attached Thumbnails doily-stretcher-pin-up-board.jpg   2doilystretcher_zps34a8d167.jpg   4-threads-14-feb-2012.jpg   3studio15feb2012.jpg   3threads14feb2012.jpg  

shelves-hooks.jpg   1-studio-sew-binding-quilt.jpg   doily-stretcher-idea-pin-up-board.jpg