Old 12-30-2017, 09:55 PM
elnan

Originally Posted by heronlady View Post
My college student grandson is interested in learning to sew. He’s a closet clothing designer and tries out things on my daughters machine when home on breaks. She/we are looking for a basic machine for him to take to school. Would like to hear your reviews,opinions, and advice, especially more recent experiences. We’re considering the Brother for $89 at Costco or possibly the Singer Brilliance, but are open to any recommendations. TIA.
On his way to Viet Nam, my brother became the owner of a vintage machine, with which he did mending and alterations for his Marine buddies. He said most of them played poker and he swept up their winnings with his machine. Growing up, he never showed any interest in sewing. We come from a long line of mechanics and farm blacksmith families that learned how to keep everything working, so I always figured he was entranced by the gears, etc. Since then, I don't think he has even sewn on a button.
As for that Brother machine from Costco, you might want to ask Cari's advice on a Brother. My sister in law bought one to use when doing charity sewing of pillowcases, and she said it was very hard to get it to sew over seams when hemming the cases. I don't think she had ever used a sewing machine before that.