View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Teen

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
I read a de-cluttering tip about the rule of 3: go through things 3 times -the first time is usually the easiest as you are getting rid of the things you know you don't want or need without hesitation. The second time is a little harder as you are making decisions about whether or not you really need that item. And the third time is the hardest as you are really analyzing the item and deciding its fate. The first time you get the most items, the second, fewer, and the last, the fewest but by then you should feel that those left are the ones you want to keep.

I am planning a move in the summer and so have been doing this throughout my house. I have done the first round with everything except my sewing room and will do that this coming week. I have started the second round in some of the closets and drawers and actually realizing how much stuff I have is making it easier to make decisions about letting go of things. There is something about doing a whole house clean out and seeing just how much I have that makes it easier for me to let go of a lot and my third round will hopefully let me focus on keeping those items that are the most meaningful to me. I think though that doing my sewing room will still be the hardest room for me to go through. I am hoping not to play the "but what if I need that piece of fabric 10 years from now for a quilt?" game. I have already looked at some projects that I don't remember ever getting to do, have lost interest in, no longer like the fabrics, or wonder what was I ever thinking of when I got it! Hopefully my purge, not only of the house but also the sewing room will be freeing for me and I will move only those things that I really want!
i'm moving to another state this summer...this makes perfect sense to me. I've been through round 1 throughout the house except sewing room, which I keep organized and pitch stuff regularly. I bought the storage containers I will use for fabrics and quilts to move. After holidays, I'm doing round 2 to add to yard sale stuff, which I'd rather not do but hubbie insists. The one area in house to yet be purged is the garage, which is hubbies stuff. I'll help him but I'm not looking forward to that...