View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 03:10 PM
Rose_P

Just a comment about machine embroidery: I had no idea I wanted an embroidery machine until I got one, sort of out-of-the-blue. It immediately became a sort of obsession. The thing that surprised me the most is that there are embroidery designs especially for quilting, and I don't mean just embroidering pretty things on the fabric before piecing, but actual quilting. I have done 3 quilts and several smaller projects wholly or partly by this method. After a couple of months with a relatively low-end embroidery machine that had a 5" X 7" hoop, I "had to" go out and buy one that would accommodate a wider hoop.

Your sister may take to it as I have, but if she's still working and/or caring for a family, she may not have enough time to really get into it. I found there's a learning curve and an inherent set of frustrations any time I try to do anything in a hurry. She also needs to be prepared for the extra expenses of embroidery thread and needles that go beyond what we usually use with sewing machines. It looks as if this Janome machine has a hoop that's a little wider than my first embroidery machine (a Brother PE770), but it's still not wide enough to do an 8" square quilt block. So depending on what she hopes to do with it, that would be a consideration. You can re-hoop and do 4 small designs in a larger quilt block, but that's 4 times as much work, and lining them up might be challenging.