View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 07:34 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Thanks for the kind words all.

The quilt measures 72" square.
The setting is 8 x 8 plus a border of half units that measures 4" finished.
The focus fabric is cut at 8 1/2" to finish at 8".
The 4P type blocks that alternate also measure 8 1/2 unfinished once assembled and finish at 8" in the quilt.
I cut the blue at 3 1/2" x WOF
The dark brown frame that goes around the blue at 1 1/2" x WOF.
I then strip pieced a blue and dark brown and sub cut the strip set unit to 3 1/2" (so I ended up with a unit that measured 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 unfinished).
I then sewed a 4 1/2 x 1 1/2 dark brown strip to the adjacent side of the blue/brown units. Once done the blue square with a brown strip on two sides measured 4 1/2 unfinished.
The light mauve alternate was cut at 4 1/2".
I made the 4P out of two of the blue/brown units and two light mauve units making sure to have the dark brown frames meet in the middle. For all the corners that met I used elmers washable school glue, especially when I started sewing the quilt together (which I did in quadrants rather than rows of blocks). I am a convert for that!!
For the border I pieced half blocks to complete the design. Only to reduce seams I made the blue 6 1/2 x 3 1/2 and added 1 1/2" dark brown to 3 of the sides. The unfinished blue with dark brown unit in the border measured 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 and every corner I had to use a 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 blue brown unit (like was used in the blocks). The mauve units were cut 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 for the border. 4 of each of these for each side plus the 4 1/2" blue brown square for turning the corner. You can see the seam line in the close up picture of the binding.

The quilt went together super fast. I think I had it done start to finish in two weekends of sewing. Panto quilting only took a couple of hours. All in all a great pattern to show off a focus fabric when you need a quick quilt. I am sure it can be modified to increase or decrease the block sizes quite easily.