View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 05:29 AM
petpainter

Default Need advice in buying a longarm!

Hi All! I know many of you have written this thread before, but I am in the market now and it seems the more research I do the more confused I get! I have space constraints- my room is 11'5' x 11' 7". I guess that pretty much keeps me down to a 10' table pushed against one wall? I had kind of decided on the new Handiquilter Amara 20",
a dealer would be a couple hours away. But then I don't know much about other brands- should I go bigger- if I find a used one no one responds. I'm only looking to do this for myself-maybe just close friends to help with the payments. I'm slightly handicapped, so I will be using a saddle stool when possible. I have also decided to wait on a computer until I know I will really use it with ease. Is my room big enough?
I am going to three shows- one in January in Orlando, one in Daytona where I am taking class with Judi Madsen on a Handiquilter(I have never sewn on a longarm before) I have a Viking Platiumun 16 sit down now.
then I am going to a show the end of March to make a final decision.
I need to be able to load the quilt easily- I have a bad back- I'm only 61, but love freemotion and ruler work. I'm not great it it yet, but looking for the longarm to help with ease. Any recommendations you have I appreciate! There are really no other dealers locally- Babylock/Viking/Bernina, but Bernina is too high and though I'm a Viking girl, the long arms are not reliable as far as I can see. Love the sit down, but the dealer can't even get the longarm together.
The new Babylocks don't look as good as the old crown jewel- they look cheap- please if someone has experience tell me! I really am looking for personal experience here. I am spending hours and hours a week on this and my friends are sick of hearing about it. It's a big investment and I don't want to blow it! You guys are so awesome- thanks for any of your thoughts! The space is a big worry!!