View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Nubie

Default Corduroy rag quilt question

Hi. Am making my first rag quilt, and am using my own design. The design is two rows of six inch square blocks. One row of 18 X 6" rows. Two rows of six inch blocks. One row of 18 inch. Two rows of six inch blocks.

Watched an online video for making a rag quilt. She used four layers of flannel instead of batting. Copied the four layer method. The design has six rows of 6 X 6" blocks of flannel, and two rows of 18 X 6"blocks of corduroy (corduroy for top and bottom, and 2 inner layers of flannel). Needless to say, the seams are quite thick, 16 layers.

My Viking Epic does sew through all the layers. That is till I went to sew the corduroy 18" rows to the 6" block rows. When sewing the seams, stitches are skipped not only when coming off the seams, but also when sewing on the flat (not sure what word to use here). Have learned that I need to pin more, at least one pin every half inch. Have that to try yet. That should potentially take care of the skipping of stitches when sewing across all the layers when flat. But won't help when coming off the seam.

My questions are: 1. Suggestions for sewing across and off a 16 layer seam? 2. Should I take off the back layer of corduroy and use a flannel instead? 3. Should I take out one layer of flannel making it three layers thick instead of four? 4. Should I take out both layers of flannel leaving two layers of corduroy? 5. Other ideas?

The six inch block rows have to balance weight wise with the 18 inch block rows if layers are taken out.

Am trying to avoid ripping out the work done of the 18 X 6" blocks because they're quilted to match six inch blocks, and are appliquéd as well. if I have to rip it all out, I will. But if not, it would be that much better. Thanks. Don