View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 05:56 PM
quiltingcandy

When we moved from KS to WA I was 8 years old and my best friend, Judy, was 9 - her mother had her sewing doll clothes and I thought it was the greatest thing to do. She had one of those red children's Singer toy machines - it worked great. I wanted one so bad but my mother said if I was going to learn to sew I needed to learn on a real machine and she had me use her Singer 15-91. It had a knee control so I didn't have to reach a pedal. I loved using Judy's machine but my mom never thought I needed the little machine. I have the 15-91 now - still going strong 55 years later. No idea how old Judy was when she first learned to sew. Neither of my older sisters learned to sew until they took Home Ec in school.

I did sew my left index finger once - my mom's reaction was, "Well, now you know why I told you to keep your fingers out of the way." It did;t slow me any - wasn't a big deal since it went next to the nail but all the way thru - she helped me get the needle out of my finger, and I kept on going.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 01-03-2018 at 05:59 PM.