Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 PM
kristijoy

Could you just make the backing and batting smaller and be careful about the edges? I have the same setup, but I haven't done a queen size quilt.

I do think the throat space is going to get tight.

What I have done is a cross-hatch design. Instead of fancy free motion quilting I make a wavy line across the quilt every 3 inches or so. The throat space isn't as important because you are just doing One wavy line, then advancing the quilt. Now it's all attached. Then I take the quilt off the frame and rotate the quilt 90 degrees and do the same wavy line the other direction to get cross hatches. Sorry, I looked for a picture but don't have one of the quilt on the frame.

I've never tried this, but I've toyed with it in my mind to quilt a big quilt. I would consider first running it through 'basting' like every 6 or so inches, just do a line across to tack everything down. Then you could go back and do whatever FMQ you want until you get to the middle And then rotate the quilt 180 degrees to quilt it the other way meeting in the center. Then at most you've rolled up 1/2 of the quilt under the throat of the machine rather than the whole quilt. This would only work if there was a 'basting' type thing holding it together first.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-05-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps