Thread: Why shops close
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Tothill

When I read threads about quilt shops closing I am so thankful for the three quilt shops in my small town. One is fairly new, it opened in the last 5 years or so. Once has been around 10+ years and the third is inside of a big box fabric store. It is interesting to be able to check side by side quilt shop quality fabrics with big box fabrics.

The newest shop has a mid arm Juki on a frame that customers can rent time on, as well as regular classes from talented instructors. Amrit, the owner, is very welcoming and remembers her customer's names which always makes me feel good. She does not carry an extensive inventory, but her fabrics appeal to me.

The 10+ year shop I do not get to as often. I am not sure why. The owner is lovely, she has beautiful fabrics. I think in part because she really does not have a web presence. I like to see shops post new stock or classes on Facebook, it reminds me to stop in. Her website only has the address and phone number.

The Quilt shop in the big box fabric store has an interesting variety of fabrics. When the big box shop has 40 or 50% off sales, the rotary cutters and rulers are also marked down, it makes them more affordable.

45 minutes to the north and south I have 6 more quilt shops available to me.

Thinking about this a bit more, the active web presence of quilt shops, ie Facebook posts, Instagram etc, are what reminds me to go in and check out sales, new fabric lines, classes etc. My life is busy and if I did not get reminders it is unlikely I would spend as much as I do. I know I am just one woman, but I probably spent $600.00 in Amrit's shop in 2017 because of her Facebook posts. Half of that was on a bolt of batting.

I am participating in the Kaffe Mystery this year, because of a post on the Victoria MQG FB page. Otherwise I would not have known about it.

I am not discounting the challenges of running a retail business. My former Husband had a customer service business and it was challenging. Over 15 years we did not have a holiday where the phone did not ring. He had to deal with a power outage on Christmas Day one year that was caused by a squirrel. Hydro did not show any outages in the area, because it was just out building. Luckily we had a generator to keep things running (Web hosting servers). I did the books, often at the kitchen table after dinner and after working my own jobs for 8 hours a day 6 days a week. Both incomes were needed for us to stay afloat.

I guess what I am saying is you all need to come to Vancouver Island. Do not let the average or $18/m we pay for quilting fabric deter you, American's have the advantage of the exchange rate.