View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 08:26 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
OK, for those of us who aren't really "scrappy", but want to make in impact on the stash, I"ll tell you what I just started...

First of all, this knocked me off of my self-imposed "don't start anything new" promise. I had finished (or nearly finished) a couple of UFO's, and just REALLY wanted something new... but simple. Then I saw MSQC's "Grand Adventures" tutorial, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-_hH4hNxA ) and the light bulb went off - THIS is where I can use those Asian fabrics that are "too pretty to cut". However, since this was yardage for me (not layer cakes), I decided to cut my squares at 11", stitch on the diagonal, then square up the HST to 10". Then I have the oh-so-familiar 2 1/2" strips, rather than the very odd 2 3/8" in Jenny's tutorial. And, yes, I understand why she came up with the number. Other than using a larger block and resulting larger strips, the directions are the same.

I'm really happy with how this is looking... like jewels... so, I'm going to call this "Jewels from Mt. Fuji". I'm still cutting and piecing the blocks, but will post pics in a day or so. This is going pretty doggone fast, so I may have a new "favorite pattern" for awhile.

So far, I've used 6 yards of stash, and have almost enough blocks for half of a queen sized top.
This sounds intriguing! Can't wait to see it when you are done! I think you were smart to make the 11" square!