View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 03:57 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Real macaroni and cheese done in the crock pot.
I get raves making grandmas Mac and cheese for potlucks. It’s quick to put together, 1 hour in the oven, add a salad, and dinner is ready.

Cook one pound of pasta and strain it. (I like to use radiatore, it holds the cheese best IMHO).
Cook just until al dente, since it will be cooked again.
Grate one pound of medium cheddar cheese.
For seasoning, I use “Mrs. Dash” with the yellow lid.

Spray a deep, large casserole with cooking spray (unless you like the crunchy bits around the edges).
Layer pasta, cheese, Mrs. dash, repeat three times reserving a little extra cheese for the top. (I am quite heavy handed with the seasoning and no one complains since there is not salt in it.
Cut a cube of real butter into pats, and lay all over the top, pour two cups of milk over it all, season one last time, cover and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.

You can make this ahead by not adding the milk until you are ready to put it in the oven. It does travel well in a cooler, just refrigerate until the oven is hot. Pour on the milk (that I carry in a drink bottle), and bake. Serve with a salad, and two or three choices of salad dressing. Nom...Nom...Nom! Yummy!

Never have had any leftovers. Grandma says this is the real way to make macaroni and cheese, and grandma was right about everything else, so.... Lol.

This recipe serves a good size group. (Gramma always asked grandma to crumble potato chips over “his half” which is good, but I do not like to add the extra salt.)

Last edited by madamekelly; 01-07-2018 at 04:02 AM.