Old 01-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Gaijin

I attended the Quilt Festival with members of a local guild and we had a famous Japanese teacher speak to us while we ate a box lunch. There will be many booths with a variety of goods. Japanese quilters love to quilt by hand, even though machine quilting is becoming more common. They also love making bags, purses, wallets, coin purses, and other small items-so you will see handles and other parts for these projects. They tend to buy smaller pieces of fabric, so smaller cuts will be offered. I did buy some small printed panels that looked Victorian and a swap partner from England told me she used to trade these prints with friends many years ago. I enjoyed the booth run by Kathy Nakajima otherwise known as "Kathy Mom"; she designs wonderful fabrics that are a Japanese-Hawaiian fusion (she is from Hawaii originally and married to a Japanese actor). Clover does have quite a few items that are sold only in Japan. If you don't see them at the quilt show, you could go to Yuzawaya in many locations (Shinjuku, Kichijoji, Kamata to name a few) Or go to Tokyo "fabric town" and shop at a group of stores called Tomato.

Deborah (Gaijin)