View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 03:53 PM
letawellman

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
My SIL gave me The Big Book of Nickel Quilts for Christmas, so instead of buying fabric, I have been busy cutting my stash of fabrics down. Knowing I'll have the pieces cut to make at least 3 quilts from my new book has done wonders for my willpower.

I even went to Hobby Lobby today (to return yarn leftover from several projects rather than let those sit in my other stash ). I managed to resist the twinge of temptation, and, happily, not a single FQ followed me home!
Oh now, you have whetted my interest... I may have to look into that book as well (knowing that I have Plenty of books/patterns already!!) And kudos to you for braving the hostile environment of Hobby Lobby. I know those FQ's were begging you to take them home!! Great job!!

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Leta, it's for Backings and that's allowed. So go forth and splurge without any sense of guilt, and should something else happen to jump into your cart - just giggle and move on. lol
Well, that would certainly be exempt, except... I have THREE bolts (only partially consumed!) of backing from the last time I went... but... they are white or cream tone-on-tone, so maybe I Do need some dark or red or black or... whatever backing.
Yeah, that works!!

OK, so the top for "Jewels from Mt. Fuji" is mostly finished. I want to add a couple of borders - including finishing the outer "jewels" like Jenny Doan does in her tutorial. As you can see from the pic, I did the "mixed"... but it was still "organized". Evidently, my brain just does not do "uncontrolled scrappy".
I used a total of 12 yards (give or take) of stash, most of it those Asian prints that were "too pretty to cut". Well, this design still retains the rich, jewel tones of the fabrics, and I'm really loving this. I foresee quite a few of the "Majestic Mountains" variations in my future. The finished size of this (once I add those borders) will be 88 x 108.

I have a feeling that those "what was I Thinking?!?!?" fabrics and those "gifted to me by well-meaning non-sewers fabrics" will also work well in this. Easy, fast, and mostly a no-brainer. I can see trimming the HST to 9", dividing by three (instead of four), turn it on it's side, and you have (ta-da!) Japanese lanterns (as the light bulb goes off on what to do with the last 4 yards of Asian fabrics). I will be using some of my wide backing on this one.
Attached Thumbnails jewels-top.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-15-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps