View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 06:53 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

I've used reusable bags for years. My sister cleaned out her fabric stash and gifted me some bright orange corduroy...really ugly so why not use them. I took the measurements from a paper bag for the basic bag and squared off the bottom leaving the triangle on and top stitched it to the bottom for more support. Before I sewed one together I placed a little cute square of fabric that matched bag fabric. After basic stitching done, I folded the bag like a paper bag and pressed the fold lines. I then sewed from the bottom up to the top of the bag pinching the fabric together along the four fold lines about 1/8 to 1/4 from the fold line. Four bags were made from the orange and found a tan denim to make four more. These get washed about once a month as I go to the grocery store about 3 times a month.

I found a lightweight flesh colored sheer fabric to make produce bags out of. Again I copied the in store produce bag design using French seams. The tops of the bag were along the selvage so never even bothered to finish them. The color is opaque enough for the clerks able to see the SKU number through the bag. I wash these every time they are used.

It's very important for all the bags to be washable...bacteria does grow on all surfaces.

I can get more groceries in a bag than the flimsy plastic ones, too. Less trips from the car to the house...win win

Last edited by oksewglad; 01-14-2018 at 06:59 PM.