Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by asabrinao
Thanks, RogueQuilter. This helps a lot. And, yes, this IS a lovely book. I can't wait to try "knife edge finishing."

One more question, a quick Google search seems to suggest that some find this way of finishing to be LESS durable. One blog I found (https://www.thespruce.com/sew-knife-...inding-2821319) specifically said to only use this kind of finishing for wallhangings or small quilts. Have you really found this way of finishing to be as durable as traditional binding?
yes, i have. the first time i used it was on a 'quilt', more like a comforter actually, that i made for my son in early 90's. found a wonderful heavy decorater print of catscatscats! my son loved cats. had seen the fabric and wanted me to buy it for '"something mom, anything!" and it became a christmas surprise. i backed it w heavy flannel, cross hatch domestic machine quilted it, knife edge finish with a stitch line about 1/4" in with another line about 1/2" in. the backing & top were quite thick. so double stitched edge. he was preteen ..it survived his high school & college years, became beloved by his youngest toddler ..finally finished. i have made several quilts for each of my grdaughters using faux fur, flannal backings, flannel top, minky backing ..especially using faux fur and minky this makes best edge finish. i am a reader of the spruce site & enjoy her thoughts, projects & patterns, but i am the rogue quilter & since i first learned to quilt i have devised my own ways of doing ..if they work, i continue on; if they don't work ...i examine and try until i have proved to myself that it just wasn't a good idea. and my knife edge binding works ..survived a rowdy teen, and current quilts are still useable & attractive favorites of my wild and crazy grand treasures.