View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Default Comic book boards

I would like to fold my fabrics around comic book boards, but I'm not sure what kind or size to get, or whether they're actually safe for fabric storage. I have lots of fabric, which means lots of boards would be required, and it could get expensive, so I don't want to select the wrong boards. I wonder whether any of you have researched this and could share your results?

This is an article I found when trying to decide what boards to get - https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/top...-amp-find-out/

I think it's important that anything used to store fabric be acid-free. From what I read in the article, some of the boards are coated on one side only, and the back is not acid-free. Further, some of the tests show that the coating breaks down over time. Some of the boards are buffered with a calcium carbonate solution, and those appear to be acid-free throughout.

So I've decided to look for the boards that are buffered with the calcium carbonate solution, but what size should I get? They would be used mostly for 1-3 yards of fabric; will one size do, or should I get a different size for larger pieces of fabric? Or does it all depend on the size of my shelving?

And finally - does anyone have recommendations for the best place to get good prices on the boards? TIA