View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 AM
lmanna

Default Sizzix vs Accuquilt - My humble opinion

For Christmas Santa offered to buy me a fabric die cutting system. I did a bunch of research between Sizzix and Accuquilt. I decided on the Sizzix Big Shot Plus for the following reasons:

1) Sizzix dies are cheaper than Accuquilt dies
2) Sizzix machine was cheaper than the equivalent Accuquilt machine
3) I could use both Accuquilt and Sizzix dies on the Sizzix machine

However...I have since returned my Sizzix Big Shot Plus machine and ordered an Accuquilt Go Big Electric for the following reasons:
1) Sizzix does not specialize in quilting so it is very difficult to find the "right" dies on their site. The Accuquilt site is easy peasy since they do specialize in quilting.

2) In general I think Accuquilt dies are more thoughtfully designed.
  • For example, check out the clamshell dies on both sites. Accuquilt version includes indicators to help you match things up when you sew the clamshells together....Sizzix's clamshell die does not. If I recall correctly it's the same situation with the Drunkard's Path die.

• Accuquilt dies have 2 color foam so it's easier to see where you need to place your fabric. On the 2 Sizzix dies I have purchased....they do not.

3) The Accuquilt dies seem to cut cleaner and better than the Sizzix dies. I have been cutting a bunch of clamshells with my Accuquilt die and have not had to pick fabric out of the die yet. I have a Sizzix 1.5" square die....every time I use it (6 layers of fabric stacked) I have to pick fabric out of the die. Same results when I only cut 5 layers of fabric at a time with it.

4) The Sizzix cutting mats are some sort of plasticy thing. Every time you cut a die it etches the die shape into the cutting mat. You are supposed to keep flipping and turning the cutting mat. I have been trying to do this but dislike it for a few reasons. A) Little fabric bits keep getting stuck in the grooves etched into the cutting mat and B) I am having some difficulty utilizing all parts of the cutting mat so the same spots on the cutting mat keep getting etched. Accuquilt cutting mats are a rubbery kind of thing. I like them MUCH better. Also some of the individual Accuquilt dies I purchased have included their own cutting mat. Individual Sizzix dies do not come with their own cutting mat....at least not the two dies that I purchased.

I have not actually received the Accuquilt machine yet but am expecting huge success.

Hope this helps someone.