View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Jennifer23

Originally Posted by lmanna View Post
2) In general I think Accuquilt dies are more thoughtfully designed.
  • For example, check out the clamshell dies on both sites. Accuquilt version includes indicators to help you match things up when you sew the clamshells together....Sizzix's clamshell die does not. If I recall correctly it's the same situation with the Drunkard's Path die.

• Accuquilt dies have 2 color foam so it's easier to see where you need to place your fabric. On the 2 Sizzix dies I have purchased....they do not.

3) The Accuquilt dies seem to cut cleaner and better than the Sizzix dies. I have been cutting a bunch of clamshells with my Accuquilt die and have not had to pick fabric out of the die yet. I have a Sizzix 1.5" square die....every time I use it (6 layers of fabric stacked) I have to pick fabric out of the die. Same results when I only cut 5 layers of fabric at a time with it.
I purchased an AccuQuilt Go a couple months ago, after years of yearning for one. I did extensive research, and decided on the AccuQuilt because of its quilting focus. I want the die cutter to cut shapes that I would otherwise have to use templates for (apple cores, clamshells, etc), and these are just more available from AccuQuilt.

As a tip, if you have older dies with just one colour of foam, you can trace over the lines of the blade with a metallic Sharpie. I know a couple people that have done this, and it worked well.

I will warn you, just so you aren't disappointed: The difference in cleaning between your clamshell and square dies is the shape, not the manufacturer. When cutting shapes along the straight of grain, you are more likely to end up with threads stuck in the die than with curved shapes.

Regarding cutting mats, they will all (even AccuQuilt) last longer if you flip and turn the mats, like the Sizzix suggests. I do prefer the feel of the AccuQuilt mats, though.

I think you will love your new machine! I know I love mine.