View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 AM
themachinelady

Having read all the comments above, I would not do this project for hire. I just finished repairing and restoring a quilt for my grandson in law and it was a throw size. If I were to have charged for this quilt, I would not have done it for any less than 400.00. I was told it needed a new backing which isn't all that big of a deal, but it turns out the backing was in shreds. I tried to preserve the quilting his grandmother had done as she had made it for him when he left to go to college and it had been his buddy ever since. Turns out blocks needed repair, border needed repair and since I don't hand quilt for others as I am so slow I tied the quilt instead to secure the backing to the older quilt. I am now in the process of slipstitching the binding to the back of the quilt to preserve the look from the front and I am not sure the $400.00 would be enough if doing it for hire. Of course I will not charge him anything as it is a labor of love and the look on his face and the hugs I got thru the day made it all worth while. He was not only surprised but delighted beyond words and had tears in his eyes, which you never see on this guy. So don't sell yourself short on your charges. People that don't quilt don't have a clue, they think it is like whipping out a dress (easy one) and haven't any idea of the work and time involved. If you asked them to give up their hours of pay accordingly you would hear them screaming at the top of their lungs.