View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I highly recommend using a walking foot for your first quilt. I also recommend making wavy lines (rather than straight lines). You can do them all in one direction, or do cross-hatching. This is a very modern approach to quilting on a domestic machine, tends to look very good, and is probably the easiest to do. There are many different designs you can make with a walking foot, but this is a good way to start. I do not recommend trying to free-motion quilt your very first quilt, and also definitely recommend against doing stitch-in-the-ditch. These are all things you can try later. By starting with a walking foot you will be free to learn how to handle the quilt under the arm of the machine and notice many other things -- such as how your quilting setup works, whether your quilt needs additional support, etc.

Google "quilting with a walking foot" to find a number of online tutorials and examples to help you get started. Do a similar Google and click on "images" to get an idea of the number of different designs that are possible with a walking foot. I just do not recommend choosing a design that requires turning the quilt (e.g., spirals or straight-line triangles) as that will add a lot of work you really don't need to be doing on your first attempt.

Do you know how to sandwich a quilt? That is the most important thing to do well before sitting down to sew. There are many different methods. My recommendation, before you start sandwiching, is to heavily starch both the top and the backing. This stabilizes the layers so you are less likely to get puckers and tucks. I like spray basting, but you need to see some tutorials on the proper way to do it. If you just tackle it without a methodology you can end up looking like a snow bear. If you haven't already, use the "search" function at the upper right of this quilting board to find interesting conversations about spray basting, sandwiching, etc. And remember, Google is your friend.

(Off to watch football now......)