View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 AM
tropit

Tofu Mayo

I don't know what the calorie count is for this recipe, but I'm sure it is lower in calories than regular, or even soy mayonnaise that you buy in the store. It only has a small amount of oil in it and the rest is mostly just tofu. I use a food processor for this task, but a blender might work too. Just put all of the following ingredients in and give it a long whirl, until smooth and creamy. I use regular, fresh tofu, but many recipes that I've seen call for silken tofu. Either works fine, just drain and press the regular tofu first and then blend a little longer in the food processor. This recipe makes about a 1/2 pint.

1/2 block of fresh, firm tofu (about 8 oz in weight,) drained and pressed*, or one carton of silken tofu.
1-2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, according to taste
1/2 teaspoon of black Himalayan salt. (Gives it a nice eggy taste)
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
spritz of lemon juice
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil. (Canola oil works fine too.)
dash of turmeric
2 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast (Gives it an earthy, UMAMI , or savory taste.)

You can play around with these ingredients to get the taste just right. IF it is too thick, just add a tiny amount of water and blend again.

* You will need to press your fresh tofu to get some of the moisture out before you use it. It's really easy to do. I put mine in a wide, soup bowl and put another, identical soup bowl on top of the tofu. I put a smaller bowl of water on top of all of that and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. They make tofu presses, but I've always been too cheap to buy one. (You're lookin' a a scrappy quilter here, so you know I'm a penny pincher.)