View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 04:48 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
I have a friend who's vegetarian and had been using tofu for sometime. Her doctor told her to quit using it. Some of the reason are in this article, one that it's genetically modified. Myself, it's a texture I don't care for so don't use it. Reminds me of suet we feed the birds.

https://draxe.com/what-is-tofu/
Most of the tofu available in our area is NOT genetically modified and is organic. However, that may not be the case in other areas. Look for ORGANIC, or NON-GMO on the label. Here are some of the brands that I frequently buy:

Nasoya Organic Tofu
Safeway's O Organic Tofu
Wildwood Organic Tofu
Hodo-Soy Organic Tofu

I generally pay about $2/lb., but frequently buy it on sale for about $1 to $1.50/lb. One pound should serve about 4 people.

Personally, I've never tried eating suet, so I don't know how the texture compares to tofu. I will tell you that tofu can take on a lot of different textures, depending on how it's prepared. In this recipe it is blended so smooth and creamy that you would never guess it wasn't mayonnaise. You might try baked tofu, or tofu crumbles in a different recipe for another kind of texture.

I'm not a doctor, but I do know that there has been a lot of misinformation about tofu floating around lately. I'm not sure why. People all around the world have been eating tofu for hundreds of years with no ill effects. After all, it's just made from a bean.

~ C