View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 05:01 AM
WMUTeach

I think you may have the answer at your finger tips. My suggestion for organization is to first consider how you use those smaller cuts of fabric. Then store accordingly. I store by sorting by color for mid-sized cuts. That is how I look for what I need.

Following is only MY way of sorting/storing and nothing more. I have one under the bed type bin for all misc. smallish scraps. When that gets too full it is time to either cut into uniform sized units or make a scrappy quilt. A number of years ago, I cut all my scraps into 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6.5 and 10 inch units and stored in plastic shoe boxes. Now I find that I seldom use the 3 and 4 inch units except to cut them down for 2.5 units. Not adding to those boxes any longer. I did find that I use lots of strips of 2.5 inch width and as long as possible. I also keep all my extra bias binding in a shoe box. Scrappy quilts often get scrappy bindings.

This sounds like a lot of boxes and work but over time it works for ME. I love it when I need 18 - 6.5 X 2.5 strips and I can go to my box and Ta-Da! there is a piece ready to trim to the size I need!

Organize for your style of work and be willing to make changes in a year or two after you have had some time to "settle in". Have fun with this process. It does feel terrific to organize and to see all the fabric you have waiting for your next project.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-23-2018 at 05:04 AM.