Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 AM
DonnaC

Default Need some advice from rag quilting ladies please.

I've made a few rag quilts and pillows using the Accuquilt rag die. I generally do the usual method... rag square on top, lightweight batting in middle, rag square on bottom, sew an "x" through each one. Then, attach them all together at the end with the raggies on the top.

I've been commissioned to make two rag quilts out of clothing of grandmothers who have passed away. (That's why I made my first one, it was all my mom's clothing after she was gone.) Anyway, the two ladies who want these quilts want just one big piece of fleece on the back, instead of all the little squares.

I'm thinking that the only way this could work is if I sew all the rag pieces together for the top, then sandwich the raggy top with the batting inside and the fleece on the back, and then sew rows down through the quilt sandwich, or even diagonally across the squares (that would probably look nicer on the back).

Has anyone ever done a rag quilt that way? It would certainly save me a lot of time because I'd only have to cut the squares for the front and then just work with a big piece of batting and fleece afterward.

Your thoughts??