Thread: T-shirt quilts
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM
quiltingshorttimer

I'm just "stepping out' of the t-shirt quilt business--a part time job means little time for doing t-shirt quilts and leaving enough time to do custom quilt work and work on my own stuff. I strongly suggest you get a business card that states t-shirt quilts and get it in the local quilt shops. Also put it on the local exchange/sell website for KC. Also get flyers up in the local library & groceries/drug stores--any place that people shop. I always met customers (that I didn't know) at the local library meeting room. Be professional--I used a flannel backed table cloth marked with different sizes (just use a Sharpie) so that customers could see the size and # of shirts needed. Decide if you will be buying all fabrics and bat (I did so I could control the quality). Be sure you have some samples (lap size are fine). And know the price points for the different size quilts--I'm also in the KC area and the typical price around here is comes to about $20-25/shirt. If you are having to design ways to fit in lots of different size logos,i go with the higher price--yes, some will balk at that but there's enough work in making them that you would still be making less that $15/hr! Also, if you don't do your own machine quilting, you need to get a deal set-up with a quilter so that you can get them done in a timely and perhaps discounted price. Good luck--I have referred 2 potential customers in just the last 2 weeks-it's that time of year when Mom's are thinking about their graduating high school seniors!

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 01-23-2018 at 07:52 PM.