View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 PM
mamagrande

I started making quilts (making tops) about 30 yrs ago. Until 5 yrs ago I managed a local quilt store and to improve our customer service, the store bought a LA and of course I had to learn how to use it. I made some store samples of new fabric lines that came in and quilted them on the LA. So, when I retired 5 yrs ago I had too many quilts...I sent a few to LAers and yes, the cost was adding up and I did not have the $$ that I had while working.

My DH heard me lament on all these quilts tops that needed to be finished and when I saw and ad on Craigslist for $1,000 I told him about it. It was 250 miles away and needed truck and trailer to bring a 14' table. I didn't have enough space so my daughter had a room that we could put it on an angle. She was out of work and started using it to make small baby quilts to sell. Finally I found a place to put it, after 2 yrs I sold it on Craigslist for $900. and bought a used HQ16. I quilt my projects and also for friends. Just to keep my hobby going.

At first I was mostly making comforters, I would tie them. I like the feel of comforters with the loftier batting. So to answer the question
1. I tie some
2. I sent some out to LAers
3. I LA mine and for others.