View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 12:05 PM
ekuw

I quilt my own on my Janome 8900 Memory Craft. I bought it mainly for the 11' harp, but it's head and shoulders above what I began quilting on. I started quilting on a small Kenmore that I bought my daughter. I made a few quilts, including a king size that I shoved through the little throat space on that one. Since the first quilt I made I was "obsessed" with quilting and realized something had to give. For me quilting is costly enough without paying someone else to do the quilting, so I decided I better learn. Initially it was very intimidating , but the only way a quilt was going to get finished was by yours truly, so it forced me to learn. Every quilt was an opportunity to practice a new motif or technique. I use both a walking foot and do FMQ. I took a class on Free Motion Quilting that was a tremendous help. It allowed me to face my fears and move from a basic level to become more proficient. It's still not my favorite part of quilting, but now it's just a part of the process, and I do a decent job. I suppose if money were no object I would probably use LA quilter occasionally...actually if money were no object I would probably buy a Long Arm. I've never tried it so the aspect of moving the machine over the quilt is intriguing to me. That said, it's not something I have to have. I am perfectly fine with quilting on my DSM unless my financial fortunes change :-)