Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
sew cornie

For those who are experienced in making scrappy quilts, I'd appreciate your input on what you'd do with these. The pattern is a 6" square called "Dad's Plaids" from quilterscache. Each square uses 2 fabrics. The fabrics I have are all FQ's from Connecting Threads, most from their "Hearth and Home" collection. Here are my questions regarding the squares:

1. Would you pair up similar colors for each block (ie. light green/dark green)? Or would you use contrasting colors (ie. dark brown/light blue)?

2. Would you stick with the original block plan of using 2 colors per block? Or would you completely mix it up with a different fabric for each square and appliqued petal, enabling each block to contain 8 fabrics? If mixing it up, would you use a light/dark contrast or just "grab from the bag"?

3. Would you do the entire quilt top (queen bed size) in this pattern? Or would you be inclined to unify the quilt by using one fabric for setting squares and a border?

I've never done a scrappy with this many colors to consider. The background of the squares will be machine pieced and the petals done by needle turned applique. Thank you for whatever advice you can offer.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-140.jpe   attachment-141.jpe