Thread: Chihuahuas
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Tudey

I got my long hair Chihuahua at a shelter, sort of. There was a young couple outside the shelter who had come to surrender their mother and father Chihuahuas and 3 3 month old pups. They had to get rid of their dogs or they were going to get evicted. I fell in love with the one male puppy and the man told me if I wanted him I could take him as they were not yet officially surrendered to the shelter. That was almost 6 years ago. We have never had an instance of Gizmo being nasty or mean with anyone. He can get a bit testy with other dogs at first, especially ones larger than himself. But all in all, one of the best dogs
I have to say two things here also: one, Chihuahuas are early warning systems. They bark to let you know something is "different" or not right to them. Mine cornered a possum a week ago and all he did was pace in front of the silly thing and bark, didn't try to go after it at all. That said, they are very trainable. Since we first got Gizmo, my husband has used the Dog Whisperer's methods for training him and they work well. Any breed can be taught to behave, even Chihuahuas and pit bulls!

Last edited by Tudey; 02-01-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: wanted to add more