View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 05:24 AM
live2teach

Originally Posted by Chele
I say "lighten up!" Do you think the quilters long before us worried if their quilts were being used "properly?" No, the quilts they crafted were meant to be useful and functional. If you treasure a specific quilt, KEEP IT! Cherish it and only display it on rainy day! Keep it tucked in a closet so your kids sell it for $5 when you're gone. I'm being a bit cynical, but I've actually been to estate sales and bought gorgeous, unused quilts for $5! And I bet that long gone quilt maker is happy I got that quilt! At least it went to a true fan.

I love quilting and I know the time and effort it takes to make a quilt. Not to mention the money involved. But remember, our friends and family don't get it! Buy them a cheapie quilt at a discount store. You'll be spreading "the quilt word" without stressing yourself out. If the dog lays on it, you'll know that pup has good taste in bedding! Life is too short not to use the good china or quilts!
I say amen to that! It's true, my grandmas and great great grandma's and so on made quilts all of the time, it was ridiculous how many quilts they could make in a little amount of time. They were all gorgeous too. They treasured them and were proud of them I'm sure but they were made to be used. I agree that a quilt is meant to be used unless you really really want the person to cherish it, then that is different. I have many quilts that have been made and given to me and right now, I only have the one I made on the bed because it's Spring and the dogs are shedding more and they are inside. So, all of my treasured quilts go into the closet until the dogs go back outside. My MIL made me and my husband a wedding quilt that was handsewn and hand embroidered with our names and the wedding date. I don't think that will ever go on my bed...maybe not even for 50 years b/c I treasure from the bottom of my heart but It will be in a display case one of these days around the house...as soon as we get one made. lol.