View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Grammahunt

I was in Toastmasters for several years so I may be able to offer some advice. One of the best hints I can give you is to keep it simple. Covering too much ground makes for a cluttered speech with too many words and little context. Give your audience something easy to remember.

Choose only 2-3 pieces of information you want your audience to remember and fill in the pieces. Open with a strong, memorable point. There is such a difference in traditional quilting and modern quilting!

If you talk about traditional quilting you can possible start by telling a story about your memories of your grandmother quilting. Then show one of her quilts. It will drive home the warm grandma feeling you presented in your opening.

I do remember a speech given by a fellow member about log cabin quilts. She had several quilts and a couple books to show. I'm a quilter but don't make log cabin quilts. Her speech was SO full it left me NO time to see what or comprehend what she was talking about. When you practice (you do practice, right?!) make note of how long it takes to really look at a quilt. One or two props are all one seven minute speech can handle. People need time to see what you are showing and they need time to process your words.

Good luck. I'll watch for an update on your post.

Grammahunt