View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 10:04 AM
helou

I have been doing genealogy for more than 25 years and like NJ Quilter, I have a computer genealogy program
"that I input data but only after it has been 'verified' as best possible from various sources. My only interest in possibly setting up an ancestry account is to access info ."

I have been a member of 2 different genealogy society and voluntered as well for many years.

I am not interested into having my DNA test done. What brought me to genealogy was because of my mother having an irish last name and she did not know a word of english. For my job I had to learn to speak english so I asked my mother if her dad (my grd-father) spoke english and her answer was: "I think he did".... he died 2 years before I was born ... Furthermore, her grd-father (irish name) lived with them when she was young. He obviously spoke french too.

So, I was very interested to know when the english langage got lost for our family and why I had to sweat so much to learn english when I was in my twenty..

I found out that on my mother side she had and Irish ancestor and a German ancestor who came as soldiers serving under the British flag in Canada. My Irish ancestor arrived around 1802 and my german ancestor came in 1813 in the war against the United States. After the war they both settled in a different region in the province of Quebec.. and they married a french speaking girl... where my mother tongue came from...

and from then on, I searched where they live when through numerous microfilms etc... to this day, I still do genealogy and I write about what I know of my parents childhood, my grand-parents, their siblings, their grand-parents etc.... consulting census etc...
It's a never ending story..

I do it because, they are our family stars and no biographer will ever write their biography.
One of my friend's mother wrote and gave each of their adult child a copy of their extended family life. A priceless heirloom, in my opinion!