View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 10:11 AM
RedGarnet222
Power Poster

I am the type of person who likes to see examples. Perhaps bring in cardboard templets, scissors and a tiny needle to show what grandma used. Even a example of a newspaper quilt pattern offered in the sunday paper. Then how they carefully hand pieced each block to make a quilt.

Then pictures or real tools of the trade now. I say pictures, because and safety factors or missing tools. Perhaps pictures of cutting mats, rotary cutters, specialty rulers, a die cutting machine, sewing machine with built in stitching designs for quilting, a programmable long arm quilting machine on a motorized table (these even have a built in camera underneath to keep tabs on the stitching) and types of specialty quilting threads. Even for the bottom bobbins to help with stitch perfection. Then the fabrics have really gotten wonderful in thread count and design. I think it is because there is so much information on the web about the cultures and regional preferable designs. Those were never available back in grandma's day. The web sights that have different patterns from grandma's is a biggie too. Even the fabric manufacturers have free patterns to download. Also quilt shows as a source of the new inventions for our choice of hobby. These all contribute to the internet information available to the today's quilter.
One last thing available to us... U Tube.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-06-2018 at 10:28 AM.