View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 08:34 AM
tropit

Default Burmese, Chickpea Tofu, DYI

After my last tofu posts, I realized that some people might be super sensitive to soy products, so I thought that I'd share a recipe for homemade, Burmese, chickpea tofu.

This is not my own recipe. I've borrowed it from the deliciouseveryday.com blog and adapted it to my own needs. I've made this several times and plan to make it again this AM. I love the taste and the color is absolutely beautiful. However, it is a bit softer and more delicate than regular, soy tofu, so keep that in mind if you decide to make it.

Ingredients

1 cup chickpea flour ( also known as garbanzo bean flour or besan flour)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground turmeric (optional, I always add it for that gorgeous color and extra nutrition.)
3 cups water divided
neutral flavored oil such as canola, sunflower

Instructions

Place the chickpea flour in a bowl along with the salt and turmeric (if using). Whisk to combine. Add 1 1/2 cups
of water and whisk until smooth.

Lightly oil 8"X8" square baking dish.

Bring the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the chickpea flour and water mixture. Whisk over t the heat until the mixture becomes really thick and glossy. This should take about 8 minutes. Pour immediately into the prepared baking dish and leave to cool at room temperature for at least 1 hour. The longer it sits, the more water will drain out of the tofu and the firmer it will get. (I let mine sit for a few hours.)

Cut into whatever size and shape you like. This will depend on how you are going to use it. Store in an airtight container and use within 3 days. I find that it's great cut up into cubes, seasoned with curry powder and put into a salad.

The WW SPs for this recipe, but is zero points. Nice!

~ C