View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 08:21 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
I made this from cooked chickpeas. I could not find the flour locally and didn't want to have to pay for shipping. It didn't come out as smooth as it would have with the flour. I liked it but swore to not make again until I have the flour. The taste is so neutral that you could change the flavor according to the spices you add.
I've seen recipes for this using garbanzo beans, but I've never tried it. Mine comes out pretty smooth...almost jelly-like. I'm using Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour. I buy mine at our local co-op, but I've also seen it at Safeway. Look in the baking section.

I love to put other "flavors" in mine, especially curry powder. It comes out a pretty greenish-yellow and it tastes amazing. Hot paprika is also good for something more spicy. You could even go sweet with it...honey and cinnamon might be nice. I haven't tried that yet.

This is not a true tofu, since it is not fermented. It's more like a garbanzo bean polenta, or firm pudding. It only takes about 10 minutes to make and is a good, fast, fast fill-in for other proteins s/a soy tofu, meat, chicken, seitan, etc. It's really pretty in an Asian inspired salad.

~ C