View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 04:06 PM
givio

Maybe I contributed to the thread you are remembering regarding wool batting. I used the Pellon brand that was on sale at JoAnn.com. There are several choices, and I don't know which one I chose. Sorry. Anyway, it was a disappointment.

The quilting was done on average every inch or two, some areas down to 1/4 inch.

Yes, it bearded terribly. The fibers come out through the good quality LQS fabric on both the front and the back.

I did not prewash the batting. I cannot imagine it would have stayed together. It looked like carded fluffy wool, with an appearance more like how a polyester batting looks than how a cotton batting with scrim looks. It pulled apart easily, and care was needed to not stretch it and make it thin in areas.

I wash the quilt with cold water, and dry in a warm dryer. I didn't find anything amiss with shrinkage-- I had the usual crinkly look as I get with cotton batting. In the dryer, the quilt develops little balls of wool on the surface, which are spread around the front and back, about 5 balls per square foot. The lint trap collects about 3/4 cup of wool fibers. This happens every time I wash and dry it. I suppose after time, I will have no batting left!

Probably I have not followed the manufacturers washing instructions? But I'm going to continue to launder the quilt as I do my other quilts, and just pick off the balls as they happen.

I do like the noticeable difference in the quilt being warmer and more light weight when you are under it than a quilt make with cotton batting.

Last edited by givio; 02-09-2018 at 04:08 PM.